Street Views

The story behind Rue des Violettes

street_violettes2.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
Most of the streets in this area of Charlesbourg are named after flowers such as zinnias, roses, lilies, dahlias, orchids and sunflowers.

Story of Avenue Jules-Verne

jules street1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
This busy commercial street is named after Jules Verne (1828-1905), a prolific French author whose writings laid much of the foundation of modern science fiction. Verne’s father, intending that Jules follow in his footsteps as an attorney, sent him to Paris to study law. While continuing his law studies, he fed his passion for the theatre, writing numerous plays.

The story behind Avenue and Parc des Voiliers

street_voiliers1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
The name behind Avenue and Parc des Voiliers (sailing ships) recalls the time when, each year, hundreds of wooden sailing ships lay at anchor along the shore of the St. Lawrence River in front of Sillery waiting to load timber.

Story behind Avenue du Zoo​

street_avenue du Zoo1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
Avenue du Zoo runs along the east side of the land that was once occupied by the Quebec Zoo which closed in 2006 after 75 years existence.

Story behind Rue de Toronto

street_rue toronto.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

This street in the Sainte-Foy borough of Quebec City is named after the City of Toronto, the provincial capital of Ontario.

The most populous city in Canada, it is situated on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

The story behind Rue du Tracel

street_tracel.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
This street is named after the large train trestle (tracel in French) bridge that spans the Cap-Rouge River valley at the entrance of the Plage Jacques-Cartier. 

The story behind Rue Treggett

street_rue treggert.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
Rue Treggett is named after four generations of the Treggett family who, from 1865 to 2014, oversaw the administration of Mount Hermon Cemetery. 

The story of Avenue Thomas

avenue thomas.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

Avenue Thomas is named in memory of Thomas McInenly, the eldest son of the successful Sillery wood merchant and land-owner Patrick McInenly, who in 1832 had purchased land in the Jesuits Seigneurie just west of Côte de Sillery.

Rue Patrick-McGrath

street_rue patrick.png
Photo: Bill Cox

This street is named in honour of Patrick McGrath, who was born in Quebec in 1858. He was the son of Timothy McGrath and Mary Ann Walsh from Ireland. In 1881 he worked as a servant for the O’Farrell’s. Three years later he married their daughter Margaret in the parish of Saint-Charles-Borromée in Charlesbourg, near Quebec City.

The story behind Rue d’Ottawa

street_RuedOttawa.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
Rue d’Ottawa is named after Canada’s capital city in Ontario, located along the Ottawa River where Samuel de Champlain established a camp in the early 17th century. The camp was used as a stopover for travellers, merchants and explorers heading to Lake Huron, via Lake Nipissing and Georgian Bay. By 1815, a small community was established.
Syndicate content