Income tax deadline approaching
Adapted from a press release by QCT staff
Revenu Québec is pleased to note that once again this year, the majority of the population is using the NetFile Québec service to file their income tax return. In fact, to date, 2,260,000 income tax returns out of a total of 2,442,000 returns received, or 93 per cent, have been submitted online.
In addition to being an efficient and secure service, NetFile Québec allows citizens to receive the reimbursement to which they are entitled more quickly. Revenu Québec aims to make a refund or issue a notice of assessment within 14 days when a tax return is filed electronically, compared to 28 days when a return is sent by mail.
Individuals have until May 1 at midnight to submit their income tax return for the 2022 tax year to avoid late filing penalties. People who are self-employed, declaring business income or filing jointly with a spouse who is self-employed or declaring business income have a deadline of June 15.
Even if you have no income or no tax liability, it is to your advantage to file your tax return; you may be eligible for certain government benefits.
Answers to many common tax questions are available on Revenu Québec’s bilingual web portal (justepourtous.revenuquebec.ca/en).
Customer service representatives will also be reachable by phone from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday until May 6 (418-659-4692 in the Quebec City region).
For those who have not yet filed their return and are about to do so, here is some practical advice:
- Before you begin, gather all the information and documents you need (social insurance number, statements, notice of assessment for the previous year, supporting documents, etc).
- Find out about the main changes for the 2022 tax year – in particular, new tax credits for seniors, the tax credit for childcare expenses and the tax credit for buying a home.
- If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, you may qualify for assistance from the Income Tax Assistance Service Volunteer Program.
- Connect to the personalized and secure online portal to access information about your tax file, including your notices of assessment, as well as a host of convenient online services. You can register for direct deposit to receive your refund faster, ensure that your contact details are up to date and check the status of your tax return.
- File your return and pay your balance on time to avoid penalties. If your financial situation does not allow you to pay the sums due in one payment, we invite you to communicate with us to reach an agreement that will allow you to pay in instalments.
The tax filing season is conducive to fraud. Revenu Québec will never send you a refund via text message or request any personal information via email. If you receive any suspicious emails or text messages, contact Revenu Québec and the Canadian Antifraud Centre.