What in the world is a “blunderbuss?”

Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain

This is a flintlock blunderbuss, used in 18th-century England.

After learning the thrilling details of the origin of the words “balustrade” and “baluster” in a recent edition, one of our readers asked about another strange English word that we don’t very often hear – “blunderbuss.”