The story behind Chemin du Foulon

STREET VIEWS

11520_street building.png
Photo: Wikipedia Commons - Public Domain

The historic Maison des Jésuites, built (near present-day Côte à Gignac) in 1637 at the western end of what is now known as Chemin du Foulon, was the first permanent mission founded by the Jesuits in New France in an attempt to Christianize the local Indigenous people.

This road is named after the foulon (fulling mill) where wool was treated to produce a heavy homespun cloth.