Community News (Print edition)

Articles on this page are from the print version of the newspaper. Access to the full article is restricted to subscribers only.

Tour Old Quebec by lantern light

81419_tour cannon.jpg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

Imagine yourself as an Irish immigrant who has just landed in Quebec City in the summer of 1847 after a two-month ocean crossing. After clearing immigration and being disinfected on Grosse Île, somehow you have become part of a group of fellow countrymen who find themselves on Durham Terrace (today called Dufferin Terrace). You have, in fact, no business being there.

Quebec City welcomes Royalty

FROM THE ARCHIVES

81419_archives prince henry.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain

In August of 1919, Quebec City was enthralled by the visit of the 20-year-old Prince of Wales, who would later become King Edward VIII. The Quebec Chronicle provided extensive coverage of the royal visit and also reminded its readers of the time when two other princes had been fêted in the Ancient Capital.

Prince William Henry, afterwards King William IV
Quebec, Aug. 16, 1787

Woodstock at 50: Still trying to get back to the garden

None of us had enough “bread” to cover the cost and few of us were old enough to drive even if the “old man” would lend us his “wheels.” So, not for lack of want, but for want of material things was our gang of hippie wannabes unable to “get ourselves back to the garden” in upstate New York to set our souls free, or simply dance stoned in the mud in 1969.

The story behind Rue De Buade

STREET VIEWS

Tags:
81419_de baude man.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons-Public Domain

Rue De Buade is named in honour of Louis de Buade, better known as the Comte de Frontenac et de Palluau (1622-1698), who was governor general of New France from 1672 to 1682, then again from 1689 to 1698. His godfather was none other than King Louis XIII.

MEMORIALS AND THINGS OF FAME

81419_memorials lake.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia commons - Public Domain

August 13, 1819 – The Quebec Gazette
Found adrift yesterday by Mr. Pierre Dugal, of the parish of St. Michel, and now in his possession, a raft of oak and pine timber, about 56 pieces, marks W. & M. Also a raft of firewood about 9 cords. The owner may have them by applying to the undersigned, in paying expenses, and if not claimed within six months, will be sold according to the Law.

Benin’s hidden treasures

POSTCARDS FROM AFRICA

81419_africa statues.jpg
Photo: Ruby Pratka

My mother and I are two of about a half-dozen guests staying in a hulking, six-storey, past-its-prime hotel in Cotonou, Benin.

Whatever your taste, there’s a beer for that

81419_beer1.jpg
Photo: Lise Lafond

When it’s hot outside, there’s nothing more refreshing than a nice cold beer ... especially a locally brewed one.

The first edition of Témis en Bière was held on Aug. 2 and 3 in the Parc Clair Soleil at Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac, located about 60 km east of Rivière-du-Loup on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Wind and waves didn’t deter swimmers at Nageons au Témis

81419_nageon woman.jpg
Photo: Lise Lafond

It wasn’t just the swimmers who got wet at the fourth edition of Nageons au Témiscouata open-water challenge. Rain ponchos were everywhere and very handy (especially if you had a camera). The organizers of the event were a little nervous about the dark clouds and thunderstorm warning, and much happier when the blue sky appeared.

Jeffy Jan II on display at Pointe-à-Carcy

81419_jeffy1.jpg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

Remember the Jeffy Jan II? This yacht has been featured in articles in recent years about the Quebec Conference of 1943 and the visits of Churchill and Roosevelt to Quebec City.

St. Pat’s football teams to leave the Plains of Abraham field

81419_st pats.jpg
Photo: Luc Lang

A long-standing tradition is coming to an end for St. Patrick’s High football teams, as they will no longer play their games on the Plains of Abraham sports field. Instead, for 2019, the three Fighting Irish football teams will play their home games at the Gérard-Chiquette field of Patro Charlesbourg.