Never-ending tramway story is back in the headlines

ECONOMIC COMMENTARY

42419_tramway.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain

About 1930 on Rue Saint-Jean, a tramcar enters the Old City via Porte Saint-Jean. The gate was demolished in 1897 to make way for the system’s overhead electric wires and was rebuilt in 1939.

The history of Quebec City’s tramway goes back over a hundred years. On Aug. 18, 1865, the first tramway began operating. Comprising 39 stations along its 23 kilometres of tracks, the system remained operational until its last lap in May 1948, only to be replaced by buses, more popular at the time. Now, more than 70 years later, an old idea is new again.