Street Views

The story behind Place d’Armes

82218_place dArmes.jpg
Photo: Shirley Nadeau

Situated in the heart of Old Quebec, Place d’Armes is surrounded by such historic buildings as the Château Frontenac, the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, and the Old Court House. It is bordered by Rue Saint-Louis, Rue du Fort, Rue Sainte-Anne and Rue du Trésor.

The story behind Boulevard Bastien

81518_bastien man.jpg
In the 17th century, a road was opened to connect Charlesbourg and Jeune-Lorette, the Wendat village later known as Village-des-Hurons and known today as Wendake. The road was named Boulevard Bastien in 1949 to honour Ludger (Sarenhes) Bastien (1879-1948), a Wendat businessman born in Loretteville. 

STREET VIEWS: The story behind Rue Arthur-Labrie

8818_rue arthur labrie.jpg
Photo: Google Maps

This street is named in honour of Arthur Labrie (1905-2003). The holder of a Ph. D. in science from Université Laval, Labrie was chosen in 1936 to put in place an experimental research station at Grande-Rivière in the Gaspé. A few years later, he convinced the university to merge it with the school’s biology research station.

The story behind Rue Antonio-Barrette

8118_antonio man.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain
This street in the Saint-Jean-Baptiste neighbourhood of Quebec City is named in honour of former Quebec premier Antonio Barrette (1899-1968). 

The story behind Rue Audubon

72518_audubon man1.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain
This street in Beauport is named in honour of John James Audubon, an American ornithologist, naturalist and painter. He was noted for his extensive studies documenting all types of American birds and for his detailed illustrations that depicted the birds in their natural habitats. He was born in 1785 in Haiti to French parents and died Jan. 27, 1851 in New York. 

The story behind Rue de l’Aviation

71818_rue aviation.jpg
Photo: Screenshot from Google Maps

The name Rue de l’Aviation was granted to the Ville de Québec by the federal government in 1951 as a reminder of the major role played by the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) during the Second World War. Forty-eight squadrons (bombers, fighters and transport or reconnaissance planes) participated in all European Allied operations.

The story behind Rue de l’Apiculteur-Verret

71118_street house.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox
Rue de l’Apiculteur-Verret is named in honour of Jacques-Ferdinand Verret (1860-1946) who was a renowned beekeeper. Born in Charlesbourg (now part of Quebec City), he was the oldest of a family of 10 children. From a young age, he worked with his father, who owned a general store and bakery. He married Lucie Bédard in 1897 but the couple had no children. 

The story behind Rue Anne-Barbel

62018_barbel house.jpg
Photo: Google Maps
This street is named in honour of a remarkable Quebec City-born businesswoman, Marie-Anne Barbel (1704-1793). She ran several successful businesses after her husband, Louis Fornel, died in 1745. The couple had 14 children of whom only five, four girls and one boy, survived to adulthood. 

The story behind Rue Alexander

61318_alexander man.jpg
Photo: Wikimedia Commons - Public Domain
This street is named in honour of Field Marshal Harold George Alexander, first Earl Alexander of Tunis, a senior British Army officer who served with distinction in both the First World War and the Second World War. 

STREET VIEWS: The story behind Rue de l’Ancienne-Cartoucherie

6618_Ancienne-Cartoucherie2.jpg
Photo: Google Maps
Rue de l’Ancienne-Cartoucherie was named in honour of the former Dominion Arsenal that was located in the Saint-Malo industrial park in the 1940s. 
Syndicate content