Tales of Grosse Île in the early days

grosse Lle.jpg
Photo: Cassandra Kerwin

An aerial shot of the Celtic Cross on Telegraph Hill of Grosse Île. The Cross was inaugurated on August 15, 1909, by the Ancient Order of Hibernians, of which Jeremiah O’Gallagher was a member.

At the June 10 meeting of Irish Heritage Quebec, four speakers described Grosse Île as it was before it was named a National Historic Site in 1974 and the Irish Memorial in 1989. As a boy, William Mylett visited the island with his father, an officer in the Department of National Defence. Patrick McKenna went there in the 1960s in hopes of finding family records.