The story behind Ruelle John-Goudie

street1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

This short laneway named in honour of John Goudie is located between Rue Saint-Paul and Saint-Vallier Est, below Côte du Dinan. It leads, appropriately, to the office building of the Société des Traversiers du Québec. 

Ruelle John-Goudie is named after John Goudie (1775-1824), one of many Scottish shipbuilders who immigrated to North America. He began his career as a shipwright in Detroit in 1795 and, by 1800, Goudie was operating his own shipyard on the St. Charles River in the Saint-Roch district of Quebec City.