The story behind Rue McMahon

street1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

The façade of St. Patrick’s Church (now the CHUQ cancer research centre), on Rue McMahon in Old Quebec between Côte du Palais and Rue d’Auteuil. The church was built in 1831-1833.

Rue McMahon is named in honour of Father Patrick McMahon (1796-1851). Originally from Ireland, McMahon arrived in Quebec with his family in 1817 and was ordained a priest at the Cathedral-Basilica Notre-Dame-de-Québec in 1822. He was appointed curate to serve the growing number of English-speaking, predominantly Irish, people in the parish.