The story behind Rue du Marché-Finlay

rue du marche1.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

Rue du Marché-Finlay is a very short street located near the ferry and cruise ship docks on Rue Dalhousie. The ships docking there today are more modern and much larger than in Finlay’s days.

Rue du Marché-Finlay is named after the merchant William Finlay who played a leading role in the business world of Quebec City in the 19th century. Possibly a native of Kilmarnock, Scotland, he arrived in Quebec sometime between 1798 and 1805 and by 1808, he was working for the powerful merchant John Mure.