The story behind Côte de Sillery

Street1nov302016.jpg
Photo: Bill Cox

A steep hill, Côte de Sillery runs from Chemin Saint-Louis down to Boulevard Champlain and the shore of the St. Lawrence River. Mount Hermon Cemetery is located at the top of the hill (on the left in this photo). The spire of Église Saint-Michel, beautifully situated on a bluff overlooking the river, can be seen in the distance.

Côte de Sillery is named in honour of Noël Brulart de Sillery (1577-1640), a French diplomat who, upon renouncing worldly things and taking holy orders, donated his fortune to found a mission in New France.