Fire and Ice! Did you hear what happened at the Ice Hotel?

fire and ice.jpg
Photo: Cassandra Kerwin

At 1:15 a.m. on Jan. 9, a fire broke out in a guest room at the Ice Hotel. There was little damage to the structure and a few guests were slightly harmed. Still, who would have thought that a fire could take place in an ice and snow structure? This photo was taken two days before the incident.

A fire broke out recently at the Ice Hotel. That’s right – a fire in a building made of snow and ice. In the early hours of Jan. 9, a candle fell on the bedding of a room occupied by two clients. Members of the staff immediately put emergency measures in place and evacuated the 33 guests before the arrival of firefighters. Guests were later relocated to the nearby Hôtel Valcartier.